• Search
  • Tools

What is the suggested tablet to use D&D Beyond on?

  • |<<
  • <
  • >
  • >>|
  • 1
  • 2
  • Next
  • #1 Sep 20, 2018

    Hello I would like to hear from the team, on their opinion on this.

    I understand sponsors might be involved but I want a rough idea of the ball park price range of tablet I will need to acquire to run the app.

    I've played in a game and I know how useful D&D Beyond is as a resource so I want to pick one up for Xmass.

    Battery life is pretty important for me, and a battery that lasts a long time without severally reduced run time is preferable. Sessions run into the several hours mark pretty often for me.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #2 Sep 20, 2018

    I'm no tablet expert, but this bad boy is rock solid.

    Last edited by Sedge: Sep 20, 2018

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #3 Sep 20, 2018

    Chromebook - I use the Samsung Chromebook Plus (partner has the Pro version). Whilst it's not exactly a tablet, you can flip it around to tablet mode and use the stylus. I've been using my chromebook non-stop for everything D&D and it's fantastic.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #4 Sep 20, 2018

    I'm not really sure there is a bench mark. If your tablet can download apps, and if it can access the DNDBeyond website then you're good.

    I use an iPad Pro 9.7, but I had the iPad for other things first before DNDBeyond came along.  If I wanted to get a tablet specifically for DNDBeyond I'd probably get something around $150 or less. I certainly wouldn't spend several hundred on a tablet that I'd just use for DND

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #5 Sep 20, 2018

    I use the Surface.

    It's a Windows tablet, so you're not sacrificing any usability by using an app that may not be fully supported on an Android or Apple OS.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #6 Sep 20, 2018

    You can go with something as simple as a Kindle Fire for around $50 or the larger one around $150. You may need to "side load" the app in a Kindle, but it will work. Also, the Samsung Tablets can be very inexpensive and may offer expandable storage, a big plus for the app. The app takes up just under 2 GBs of space, so even an 8 GB tablet will work. But it will take up a lot of your available space.

    Does the Windows Surface actually run the app? I thought it was an IOS/Android kind of a thing.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #7 Sep 20, 2018

    I will second the chromebook. I use my Lenovo Flex 11. Works well!

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    "Shadow Hide You..."

  • #8 Sep 20, 2018

    How does "side loading" work and what does it require I do?

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #9 Sep 20, 2018

    Side loading is loading an application on to Android without using the Google store. Amazon has their own application store and do not support the Google store. If the DND Beyond app is in Amazon, no worries. A quick search seems to indicate it is not there.

    So you can follow these instructions to side load: https://mashtips.com/install-android-apps-amazon-kindle-fire/amp/

    This will allow you side load the Google store apparently where you can then load the application from there. I haven't used a Kindle Fire is a while, so I'm a little rusty. If there are other Fire users, I sure won't mind you weighing in!

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #10 Sep 20, 2018

    I assume if I got it one of amazon's tablet, and them owning twitch, and this site being owned by them that there would be a knock down effect where this would be well supported...in theory.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #11 Sep 21, 2018

    the new Surface Go looks nice, but that is $400. I checked ebay and you get a Surface Pro 3 for around $300 and change (mine has a shattered screen and found that it is cheaper to just buy a used one than get this one fixed for $599 which you just get a refurbished one anyways.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #12 Sep 21, 2018

    I assume if I got it one of amazon's tablet, and them owning twitch, and this site being owned by them that there would be a knock down effect where this would be well supported...in theory.

     You might think that, but.....

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #13 Sep 21, 2018

    The devs have said an Amazon App Store version is coming. Until then, sideloading on a Kindle Fire is absolutely doable. The Fire HD 10 is your best bet (better specs and RAM than the cheaper ones, will let you open more tabs before things start to chug).

    I used this video as my guide: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9bv8bXu4Wk&nbsp;

    Links are included to the four APKs you have to download, and it works wonderfully. Once you have the Google Play Store, you can install Chrome, the YouTube app, D&D Beyond and all the other things you've been wanting on the Fire but can't have.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #14 Sep 9, 2019

    I'm necromancing this thread because I'm looking to see what laptops or tablets would be good for viewing the web site.  I was wondering if a Chromebook would have the power for it.

    You can go with something as simple as a Kindle Fire for around $50 or the larger one around $150. You may need to "side load" the app in a Kindle, but it will work. Also, the Samsung Tablets can be very inexpensive and may offer expandable storage, a big plus for the app. The app takes up just under 2 GBs of space, so even an 8 GB tablet will work. But it will take up a lot of your available space.

    Does the Windows Surface actually run the app? I thought it was an IOS/Android kind of a thing.

    Whether the Surface can run the "app" is mostly irrelevant, since the "app" is pretty useless at this point.  It's only just a tool for referencing content.  You can't view your characters or use any of the "in game" features available from the web site.

    All you need is something that can run a modern browser, and the Surface definitely qualifies for that.

    I'm seeing some refurbished Chromebooks for less than $150 USD, but I don't know if they'll choke on DnD Beyond's web site or not.

    Anyone have any ideas on minimum requirements?

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #15 Sep 9, 2019

    I use a Chromebook, Lenovo Flex 11. Works great. I just want to upgrade my screen for my old man eyes, but other than that, it is perfect.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    "Shadow Hide You..."

  • #16 Sep 10, 2019

    As long as it is a newer chrome book and you always have WiFi for internet access I don't see why not. If you get an older model it might bog down or it just be plain slow.  A new model would have faster wireless.

    Other than that, just about any windows/apple/chrome/android should work if you are not worried about the app and just using the browser.

    there was never a windows app FYI, just android and iOS.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #17 Sep 12, 2019

    I'll second a chromebook, but if you're looking for a tablet specifically that you're going to be using elsewhere, you really can't go wrong with the iPad 6th generation, specifically the 9.7" model instead of the Air, Mini, or Pro. Comparatively (and this may be a controversial topic) you can do more on a tablet than a chromebook of the same price range. You just don't get a tactile keyboard or mouse. (But, on a tablet, you also don't need a mouse.)

    I'd also recommend an Android-based tablet, but Google has discontinued its Android tablet line as of June, 2019 [source] which doesn't bode well for future OS updates and optimizations that aren't third-party.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #18 Sep 12, 2019

    Surface Pro (4 currently) because I like to doodle (but be sure to turn off GPU acceleration on your image/artwork editing software) and I like to play the occasional simple desktop game in Windows (and do work remotely when necessary). The DDB website works fine on it in either orientation. Zooming into the portrait mode turns the site into the mobile interface (without requiring an app). For playing as a player, the mobile interface of the website is good enough, but of course, it requires a connection to the Internet if you do it like that.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

    Human. Male. Possibly. Don't be a divider.
    My characters' backgrounds are written like instruction manuals rather than stories.
    I am 99.7603% convinced that the digital dice are messing with me. I roll high when nobody's looking and low when anyone else can see.🎲
    "It's a bit early to be thinking about an epitaph. No?" will be my epitaph.

  • #19 Sep 12, 2019

    I have an Acer 2 in 1 chromebook for laptop/tablet use and an Samsung Tab E the chromebook sits in front of me and the tablet is my pile of books so I do not lose place on the chromebook, have a samsung s7 edge as an additional set of books that can always be with me.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • #20 Sep 13, 2019

    I'm not looking for one for myself, I already have a killer Windows desktop that does everything I need.  I also just picked up a Lenovo Flex 14 as well, so I'm good.

    However

    I'm looking at getting at least 4 "things*" for the players to have around the table.  There are two factors that define what I'm looking for:

    1. Cheap enough for me to buy 4+ of them. (100-150 ish USD)
    2. They run DnD Beyond without choking on it.

    * - Things are either large Andriod tablets, Linux or Windows laptops, or Chromebooks.

    I'm seeing ads for refurbished Chromebooks for as low as $100, but I don't know enough about how well they'd work.  I suppose I could just go to the store and load up the site and try it, eh?

    EDIT:   I'm also considering getting a Raspberry Pi and a laptop panel and controller for each player.  That's also about $100 each.  I could either get a touchscreen panel or keyboard/mouse with a non-touch panel.  Either way, I guess.

    Rollback Post to Revision RollBack

  • To post a comment, please login or register a new account.
  • 1
  • 2
  • Next
  • |<<
  • <
  • >
  • >>|

Posts Quoted:

Reply

Clear All Quotes